The City Adviser will be a key part of the Regional Team, working closely with the Regional Director and Deputy Regional Directors to engage the city in the implementation of the climate action plan and the fulfilment of C40’s Leadership Standards.
- Liaising with strategic city officials, mapping the city’s political priorities and needs for climate action implementation; and keeping C40 management and programme / project groups informed regarding cities priorities, political dynamics and needs to break barriers for action implementation or to finance projects.
- Identifying and helping coordinate the most appropriate C40 programmes and projects to support local climate action implementation; working with the main C40 city contacts and C40 regional team to identify and map all ongoing C40 programmes in the city, including their status, challenges and next steps, and establish a clear work plan between the city and C40; updating and engaging city contacts participating in C40 networks and other programmes.
- Disseminating, advising and explaining the content of the climate action plan and how it affects and depends on the various city departments and secretariats; engaging city officials in different departments to ensure that the climate action plan goals and actions are integrated in other strategic plans and documents; and engaging political and technical city teams to ensure strong political support for the climate action plan and an ambitious climate agenda.
- Supporting the rollout of the Regional Sectoral/Policy Implementation Programmes (to be confirmed), including identification of priority projects, engagement with political and technical level, coordination with the C40 RSP co-leads and support in the implementation of the RSP in case the city is selected.
- Supporting cities and C40 regarding consultation, preparation, drafting, engagement and implementation of C40 Declarations including tracking those in place already.
- Engage main C40 city contacts and other city staff on the C40 Leadership Standards, disseminating information, tracking status of city fulfilment and identifying ways C40 can support or encourage a city to fulfil them.
- Tracking, supporting data collection and analysis, and reporting at the city level on the implementation of all C40 programmes and for C40 Leadership Standards.
- Disseminating C40 tools and knowledge materials to the relevant stakeholders in the city, and will be expected to update and develop knowledge pieces when necessary.
- Supporting C40 as required during the transition of city administrations to help ensure the continuity of the city engagement with C40 programmes, projects and activities in general.
- Providing frequent internal updates on the city’s political, social and economic context.
- Representing C40 in meetings with city officials, presenting and explaining all different programmes offered by C40 to the city.
- Liaising with external partners working with the city on relevant issues.
- Demonstrable experience in climate and/or city-related projects.
- Proven track record in working collaboratively across teams and with partners, such as city governments, NGOs, international organizations and the private sector.
- Experience in programme management, network creation, and stakeholder engagement is highly desired.
- International experience, particularly working with different cultures, languages and time zones, is highly desired.
- A proven track record of working remotely and independently.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Additional communication skills in local languages highly desirable.
- A relevant degree, with a master’s degree in any environment or climate change related topic and/or political science being highly desirable.
Applicants must already have the right to work in their country of residence – Ethiopia, Ghana or Kenya. Moderate travel may be required as part of the role.
Location: Accra, Addis Ababa, Nairobi.
Click here to apply
Closing Date: 10 September 2021
C40 is a network of nearly 100 mayors of the world’s leading cities, who are working to deliver the urgent action needed right now to confront the climate crisis, and create a future where everyone, everywhere can thrive.
Mayors of C40 cities are committed to using a science-based and people-focused approach to help the world limit global heating to 1.5°C and build healthy, equitable and resilient communities.
Through a Global Green New Deal, mayors are working alongside a broad coalition of representatives from labour, business, the youth climate movement and civil society to go further and faster than ever before.
C40’s team of 200+ staff is headquartered in New York, with offices in London, Joburg, Singapore, Delhi, Rio de Janeiro, Copenhagen, Beijing and Paris, and individual staff based across 25+ different locations, with the Office of the Chair based in Los Angeles.
WhatsApp Job & Scholarship Alert
To get daily Job and Scholarship Alerts on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE
CLICK HERE TO JOIN WHATSAPP GROUP
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED