Accidental Death and Dismemberment
Tragic events can alter a person’s life. Protect yourself and loved ones from the unexpected with coverage options that ease the burden of accidents.
Program Overall Benefits
In addition to your basic term life coverage, accidental death and dismemberment coverage can be a relatively low-cost way to protect against unexpected events that result in loss of life, speech, hearing, sight, paralysis, and more.
- Basic Accidental Death & Dismemberment: This employer-paid coverage option provides an accidental death benefit equal to an employee’s basic term life insurance amount.
- Supplemental Accidental Death & Dismemberment: This employee-paid coverage option complements the value of supplemental term life with added coverage, and a percentage of the death benefit amount is payable in the event of non-fatal covered losses.
- Dependent Accidental Death & Dismemberment: This employee-paid coverage option provides spouses and dependents with a benefit equal to the dependent term life benefit amount.
- Voluntary Accidental Death & Dismemberment: This employee-paid benefit is offered as a stand-alone coverage option for employees, spouses and dependent children and is available regardless of enrolling in life insurance.
- Business Travel Accident (BTA): This employer-paid coverage option includes an additional benefit for covering accidents that result in death or serious injury for employees who are traveling on company business, both domestically and internationally.
For complete details of the best plan for you and your family, talk to your company’s benefits administrator or contact MetLife directly for more information.
Financial Impact of Premature Death, MetLife 2020
Accidental Death & Dismemberment insurance does not include payment for any loss which is caused by or contributed to by: physical or mental illness, diagnosis of or treatment of the illness; an infection, unless caused by an external wound accidentally sustained; suicide or attempted suicide; injuring oneself on purpose; the voluntary intake or use by any means of any drug, medication or sedative, unless taken as prescribed by a doctor or an over-the-counter drug taken as directed; voluntary intake of alcohol in combination with any drug, medication or sedative; war, whether declared or undeclared, or act of war, insurrection, rebellion or riot; committing or trying to commit a felony; any poison, fumes or gas, voluntarily taken, administered or absorbed; service in the armed forces of any country or international authority, except the United States National Guard; operating, learning to operate, or serving as a member of a crew of an aircraft; while in any aircraft for the purpose of descent from such aircraft while in flight (except for self preservation); or operating a vehicle or device while intoxicated as defined by the laws of the jurisdiction in which the accident occurs.
MetLife AD&D and BTA is issued by Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, 200 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10166 under Policy Forms GPN99/G2130-S and GBPNP-04.
Nothing in these materials is intended to be advice for a particular situation or individual. Please consult with your own advisors for such advice. Like most group insurance policies, insurance policies offered by MetLife contain certain exclusions, exceptions, waiting periods, reductions, limitations and terms for keeping them in force. Please contact your benefits administrator or MetLife for costs and complete details.